CE on CD: Treatment2Go-Orthotics: Creative Static Splinting Made Simple
Presented by Debby Schwartz OTD, OTR/L, CHT
Earn .7 AOTA CEU (7 NBCOT PDUs/7 contact hours)
Available from AOTA Continuing Education by special arrangement with Treatment2Go in St. Petersburg, Florida
This is a mixed level up to intermediate level splinting workshop featuring immobilization splints (static) for the upper extremity. The instructional format includes a didactic lecture to include PowerPoint® presentation on the principles of immobilization, up close and personal splint examples, followed by detailed splint fabrications, splint critique and allotted follow-along lab time for participants to fabricate splints.
Participants will also become familiar with MARKETPLACE splints to compliment their customized splints. Participants manual (125 pages) includes splint patterns, photos, FAQs, and occupation-based principles relating to immobilization splinting. Participants will be introduced to the knowledge requirements of splint fabrication, including upper extremity anatomy, stages of wound healing, and the characteristics of a variety of different splinting materials. Participants will gain knowledge in making clinical decisions regarding the use of appropriate materials for immobilization splints with their clients and how splinting is used in an occupation-based approach. Participants will have the opportunity to watch the fabrication of immobilization splints for the elbow, wrist, forearm, thumb, and fingers.
A post-test format is employed to demonstrate mastery of the material presented and is available online fromTreatment2Go once you have registered.
Course content features the following
- Over 125 pages in FULL COLOR in the manual
- The BEST way to learn splinting so you watch rewind and replay - NEVER miss a step again!
- Tips and tricks not learned at your average splinting course!
- 9 splints fabricated for up close & personal learning
- Elbow flexion splint
- Circumferential writ splint
- Long oppones splint
- Short oppones splint
- Resting hand splint
- Wrist cock-up splint
- Circumferential finger splint
- Anit-swan splint
- Mallet finger splint
- Overview of marketplace splints
At the completion of the DVD, the learner will be able to
- Identify the indications, precautions and contraindications for the use of immobilization splinting with your clients.
- Recognize the mechanical principles involved in fabrication of low temperature thermoplastic immobilization splints for the upper extremity.
- Identify the properties and characteristics of different splinting materials.
- Identify the anatomical knowledge base required to fabricate immobilization splints.
- Delineate the necessary steps required to fabricate and fit immobilization splints to the upper extremity.
- Identify and critique a variety of splinting materials for different purposes.
- Recognize various marketplace splints to compliment clinical practice
Online Manual/Discussion Board/Electronic Exam
Once you have purchased the course, Treatment2Go will contact you directly by e-mail and provide you with your username and password. You can then login on their Web site to access the online manual, the 24/7 online Discussion Board and the Exam Center. You may take the exam as many times as needed. You must achieve an exam grade of at least 80% to automatically receive your certificate by e-mail.
Target Audience: Occupational Therapist and Occupational Therapy Assistant
Learning Level: Intermediate
Content Focus: Category 2: Occupational Therapy Process, Intervention
For information on exam, retake exam, certificate and return policy, please see our "Customer Serivce" page.