CE on CD: Treatment2Go-Orthotics: Creative Mobilization Splinting-Dynamic & Static Progressive Splinting (SPS)
Presented by Debby Schwartz OTD, OTR/L, CHT
Earn .9 AOTA CEU (9 NBCOT PDUs/9 contact hours)
Available from AOTA Continuing Education by special arrangement with Treatment2Go in St. Petersburg, Florida
This is mixed learning level ranging from intermediate to an advanced splinting workshop featuring mobilization splints of the upper extremity, including dynamic and static progressive designs. The course format includes a didactic lecture on DVD to include PowerPoint® presentation on the principles of mobilization, up-close splinting examples, followed by splint fabrication demonstrations from beginning to end, a splint critique session, and a follow-along lab time for participants to fabricate splints.
Participant manual (112 pages) includes splint patterns, FAQs, photos, glossary, and occupation-based principles relating to mobilization splinting. Participants will be introduced to the concepts of evidence based practice for splinting techniques, Low Load Prolonged Stress (LLPS), Total End Range Time (TERT), torque, and force. Participants will learn several methods for making clinical decisions regarding the use of appropriate mobilization splints for the upper extremity with their clients using an occupation- based approach and will have the opportunity to watch the fabrication of mobilization splints incorporating outriggers from turnbuckles, wires, coils, accessories, and Orfitubes?. Participants will have the opportunity to learn and identify a variety of marketplace orthotics and how they apply to the clinic.
A post-test format is employed to demonstrate mastery of the material presented and is available online from Treatment2Go once you have registered.
Course content features the following
- Over 125 pages in FULL COLOR in the manual
- The BEST way to learn splinting—you watch, rewind, and replay—NEVER miss a step again!
- Tips and tricks not learned at your average splinting course!
- 8 mobilization splints fabricated for up-close and personal learning
- Composite finger flexion splint (SPS)
- MP arthroplasty/extension tendon repair splint (dynamic)
- Wrist extension assist splint (dynamic)
- Supination/pronation splint (dynamic or SPS)
- PIPJ flexion splint (dynamic)
- Elbow extension splint with turnbuckle (SPS)
- Elbow flexion/long arm splint (SPS)
- Overview of marketplace splints (dynamic & SPS)
At the completion of the DVD, the learner will be able to
- Identify the indications, precautions and contraindications for the use of mobilization splinting for the upper extremity.
- Distinguish between different levels of evidence that support the use of mobilization splinting for the upper extremity.
- Recognize the mechanical principles involved in mobilization splinting for the upper extremity.
- Identify the anatomical knowledge base required to fabricate mobilization splints.
- Identify several different methods to help selection of the appropriate mobilization splint.
- Identify marketplace splints used for mobilization splinting
Online Manual/Discussion Board/Electronic Exam
Once you have purchased the course, Treatment2Go will contact you directly by email and provide you with your username and password. You can then login on their website to access the online manual, the 24/7 online discussion board and the exam center. You may take the exam as many times as needed. You must achieve an exam grade of at least 80% to automatically receive your certificate by email.
Target Audience: Occupational Therapist and Occupational Therapy Assistant
Learning Level: Intermediate
Content Focus: Category 2: Occupational Therapy Process, Intervention
For information on exam, retake exam, certificate and return policy, please see our "Customer Serivce" page.