CE on CD - Occupation-Focused Intervention Strategies for Clients With Fibromyalgia and Fatiguing Conditions
Presenter: Renée R. Taylor, PhD
Earn .2 AOTA CEUs (2.5 NBCOT PDUs/2 contact hours).
A number of evidence-based strategies will be presented for managing fibromyalgia and other fatiguing conditions, such as chronic fatigue syndrome. Biomechanical intervention strategies, common assistive devices, and occupation-focused interventions that can address the multifaceted symptoms and needs of these populations will be presented.
- Understanding Fibromyalgia and Fatigue
- Biomechanical Interventions, Work Rehabilitation, Energy Conservation, and Assistive Devices
- Occupation-Focused Interventions
- Cognitive–Behavioral Interventions
- Working With Other Professions
Recommended Reading: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Chronic Illness and Disability. R.R. Taylor (2006). New York: Springer.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to
- Differentiate fibromyalgia and from other medical conditions involving chronic pain and fatigue.
- Define fatigue and understand its many complexities and variations.
- Recognize the many potential roles for an occupational therapist in providing intervention for clients with fibromyalgia and other fatiguing conditions.
- Recognize the evidence base and rationale for biomechanical, energy conservation, and work rehabilitation intervention approaches in occupational therapy when working with clients with fibromyalgia or other fatiguing conditions.
- Recognize assistive devices that are commonly used with clients with fibromyalgia and other fatiguing conditions.
- Delineate the rationale for using occupation-focused interventions with clients with fibromyalgia and other fatiguing conditions.
- Recognize when and how to use interventions rooted in cognitive–behavioral therapy with clients with fibromyalgia and chronic pain and fatigue.
- Recognize the challenges and dynamics of working within a multidisciplinary treatment team when treating clients with fibromyalgia and other fatiguing conditions.
For information on exam, retake exam, certificate and return policy, please see our "Customer Serivce" page.